- InformationVarious networks, working groups, seminars, meetings and conferences are emerging in the different regions of the world to contribute to the debates of Rio+20. You can find them in this section.
Events December 2013 Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 All events
- Main Themes
- Ethical and philosophical fundamentals: subjectivity, domination, and emancipation
- Human rights, peoples, territories, and defense of Mother Earth
- Political subjects, the architecture of power, and democracy
- Production, distribution and consumption, access to wealth, common goods, and economies in transition
May 30 2012 Occupy the Earth Summit Rio+20
Who’s planet is it? It’s our planet! “In every deliberation, we must consider the impact on the seventh generation… even if it requires having skin as thick as the bark of a pine.”
—The Constitution of the Iroquois Nations: The Great Binding Law.
We Occupy Wall Street and thousands of other locations around the World, we are swarming, live streaming and communicating globally and in cyberspace, and we are in the hearts and futures of the 99% of the population that we represent. We are the people; business people, workers, farmers, the unemployeed, the homeless, the hungry, we are fathers, mothers, sons, daughters, we are everyone and everywhere. We are here in the tradition of Martin Luther King’s 1976 Poor People’s Campaign in Washington, D.C. where thousands of poor people of all races set up a shantytown known as Resurrection City.
Why direct non-violent action? Why are we Occupying? It’s pretty simple. It works! It’s worked for millions of people. Non-violent direct action is what made the civil rights movement and Indian independence from the British possible. Martin Luther King, Jr. once said: “The purpose of our direct-action program is to create a situation so crisis-packed that it will inevitably open the door to negotiation.” The spirit of the Martin Luther King Jr. Poor People’s Campaign has evolved into an All People’s Campaign. To protect the future of our planet and of our children and for generations to come we must act now to take back the power of the people and not allow the interests of global greed to remain in power. Our objective in this dialog is to initiate an open and true discussion about how things really are. The key issues facing the world have been obscured by main stream political dialog and corporate controlled media.
The fundamental issues, the underlying root causes, and the difficult changes required to create a sustainable future must now be addressed.
To use a Wall Street term, we ran the numbers and they no longer add up:
- The current economic and social systems have lead to a catastrophic environmental crisis.
- The foundation of material, industrial and economic growth that the global modern economy is based on is no longer sustainable.
- We are currently using 1⅓ of world’s available resources. We are currently destroying the planet through excess resource exploitation.
- The greatest disparity in wealth that has ever existed is happening right now. Currently 1% of the global population controls 50% of percent of the world’s wealth. In the United States the wealth of top 400 citizens is equal to that of the bottom 150,000,000.
- The unparalleled growth of global corporations has shifted the balance of power from national interests to corporations and banking institutions controlled by very few individual citizens.
We intend to establish a productive dialog on all key issues relating to the creation of a fair and sustainable future. We are here to begin a global public dialog on how to heal the damage already fostered on our people, our environment and our economy. We are here to create the future we want. We are the 99% (in truth we are the 100% – we should all strive to create a moral and sustainable future.)
- Stop to the ability of individuals to plunder and pillage the world’s natural and human resources while hiding behind the corporate and government entities absolving them of the responsibilities of their actions.
- Create a future in Harmony with Nature.
Occupy Summer Earth Summit
occupy your heart # occupy everywhere # occupy your family # occupy your city # occupy your mind # occupy together # occupy your block # occupy rio2012 # occupy everything # occupy your community # occupy your planet # occupy the future
Join us and be occupied as we prepare for the Occupier’s First Summer Solstice Earth Summit Celebration
Occupy Like It’s 2012
The Rio+20 Earth Summit Happening June 20-22 provides #occupy the platform to join forces from all around the world.
All over the world we are saying the same thing and it is time that we stand in solidarity and start saying the same things together. By ourselves we may go quickly but together we will go far.
- Mock Rio+20 community and school reenactments – to be held around EarthDay April 22 – in association with MobilizeUS network.
- Occupy Green Spring – April 22 – June 20 – actions and learning programs.
- Occupy Summer Earth Summit – on June 21st – a global ‘maker fare’ – present your sustainability concepts.
- United Nations Rio+20 – June 20-22nd (week of) 2nd reenactment of Mock Rio+20 in real time with UN Rio event – we provide open source real time polling, voting and collaboration.
Axis Production, distribution and consumption, access to wealth, common goods, and economies in transition
Details of the initiative